Sunday, December 23, 2012

Getting Outside of Myself


I just wanted to share an excerpt from a journal entry I made today. A talk last night with a good friend and a strong desire to be happier, do better, etc. has led to this little 'click' sounding in my mind.

Here's what that click sounded like:


"No matter what happens, no matter what I feel at any given moment – it can be fear, sadness, hopelessness, feeling like things will never change or that I will always have to worry – I know that everything will be okay.

When will I stop having to worry? That time is now! I have so many things I could worry about but none of them matter as long as I remember that I am me. That I love myself and that I'm worth it. I'm worth the effort to be me. I don't have to be anyone else. If I'm being someone else I will never realize how awesome I am. I won't let anybody tell me differently!

I'm going to stay positive because negativity will only bring me down. I won't let anything bring me down! I'm a good man. I have many things to look forward to and many people in my life who I just love to death. I want to lose myself in serving and helping them – finding ways to make their lives easier and to let them know that I love them.

Every sunny day, a person realizes their true potential. A person sees that no matter what anybody says, no matter what happens to them, no matter what they've done or feel they're worth, they still have the potential to change lives and be happy alongside everyone else! Everyone has this God-given ability.

This is why I love sunny days. There have been so many in life. I so love that warming sun and the trees and nature, music and art, movies and books, writing and reading, good styles and good people, trials and the happiness that comes from learning from them, friends and fun times, Christmas time and Jesus Christ, my religion and my life.

I resolve this day to get out of myself and see what others love. To reach out to other people and talk to them. To show them that I care. To find ways to help and love them. Because they need my help and I need theirs just as much.

Somewhere out there, there's a man or woman, boy or girl, someone young or old, who wants so badly for me to reach out to them they way I've been hoping my whole life for someone to reach out to me. If things are just so bad that I can't find any light or hope in my life, I can at least give someone else that light and hope. That's why I want to serve a mission. That's why I want to help. I don't want anyone to have a bad day so often as I can be there to help them have a better one!

Today is the beginning of a life of caring in every way I can for others. Because if I can get my mind off myself and focus on them, there won't be much to worry about, will there! (Not to mention, that's how you solve many of your own problems)

I'll start with my family. They need me, and boy do I need them! I've always wanted them to know how much I love and appreciate them!

Then on to my good friends. I love them oh so much!

Then complete strangers and acquaintances. They need me, and I need them just like any pair of close friends or family members would!

"Like beggars in the greying morning
These needful hands are reaching for you
We're beggars bought by suffered gold
We want what little love we hold"

Falling Up – Greying Morning

We're all beggars, even if we're not facing devastating circumstances, and I'm going to remember that. Remembering that and acting on it for the sake of others is where much of our true hope comes from! Even doing something simple for someone else can mean the difference between a life-changing friendship and nothing at all.

So simple :)"


And be sure to check out Falling Up's latest album, Midnight on Earthship! I'm really liking what I'm hearing!

Here's a link to their site!

No comments:

Post a Comment